Online games are now being played for over 60 minutes a day by over half a billion people globally, says Jane McGonigal.
In the United States alone, that number is 183 million.
Ninety-nine percent of boys under 18 and 94 percent of girls under 18 say they play online games on a regular basis.
On an average, young people will rack up 10 thousand hours of gaming by the time they reach the age of 21.
That is about the same amount of time that they will spend in their classrooms.
Over 5 million Americans are now spending over 40 hours a week playing online games, which is the equivalent of the time spent at a full time job.
The NPD Group, a financial-analysis firm that tracks the sales of video games, says the U.S. games industry sold $6.71 billion worth of new games in 2012.
The top 10 best-selling games of 2012 were:
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II (360, PS3, PC, Wii U)
- Madden NFL 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV, Wii U)
- Halo 4 (360)
- Assassin’s Creed III (360, PS3, PC, Wii U)
- Just Dance 4 (Wii, 360, Wii U, PS3)
- NBA 2K13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, Wii U, PC)
- Borderlands 2 (360, PS3, PC)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
- Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSV, PC)
- FIFA Soccer 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV, 3DS, Wii U, PSP)
FarmVille is a highly-popular farming simulation social network game developed by Zynga in 2009.
FarmVille 2 was released in September 2012.
World of Warcraft holds the Guinness World Record for the most popular MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game), with over 8 million subscribers as of March 2013 (Wikipedia).
Another popular game is Clash of Clans, which is a combat strategy game.
Free games, often referred to as freemium (free + premium) games, is a business model where the game is given away for free, but the customer has the option of spending money on a variety of game enhancements.
If you need any kind of information on this article related topic click here: thick legends script